Monday, August 17, 2009

Sehr Schon


I got the chance to chat with international designer Silke Delber. This womenswear and accessories designer creates intricate nature inspired pieces. Silke's attention to detail illustrates fantastic adventure though suede and lace.

SE: You grew up in Germany, went to school in London and now design in
America. How did the different fashion cultures affect
your design identity? Which country do you think has the best style?

SD: Growing up in the German countryside was not very fashion conscious. Inspiration came from antiques and flea markets. But, I am glad that I grew up in this society where fashion is still considerate secondary to life matters, which puts the whole fashion game in perspective to me.

London was definitely an eye opener in the sense of creativity and a push to be crazy and different. To study and exchange with so many different people from all over the world and working for some very special and unique designers helped me to explore my own taste. On the other hand, fashion in London was sometimes not very realistic in a business sense. This is where the experience of being in New York plays in. The American fashion industry plays it very safe and keeps the business aspect in the foreground. I am very happy to have experienced both these approaches. I think they both are equally important. I feel challenged to create something unique ,classic and sellable at the same time.


SE: How would you best describe your design aesthetic/ what are your
influences?

SD: I am a perfectionist in the sense that every little detail has to be thought through and coincide with my inspiration. I love exploring and challenging different techniques and research to make it my own. I am drawn to the love and craftsmanship which you can see in beautiful ethnic or antique pieces. I also like to refresh my "fashionable overloaded mind" with inspiration coming from art, nature and life.


SE: You have worked with some pretty big industry names; Vivienne
Westwood, Luella Bartley, and Jill Stuart, who was your favorite to
work with? Any crazy stories?

SD: No doubt it was at Vivienne Westwood! I would worked there for free-every night and came home with an amazment for what I had seen and learned. Careful with your cookies-Vivienne would eat them all...


SE: What do you in the future for Silke Debler designs?
SD: I want to concentrate and explore my brand-travel, work and support local crafts people. I want to use their knowledge and techniques and work together on new exciting designs. I am definitely not in the search for fashion fame.

SE: Any advise for young designers trying to break into the industry?
SD: I would definitely advise to get some work experience first.There is so much to learn and so many mistakes to be made. The urge to create your own will grow and you will feel once you are ready. But observe and learn whilst being an employee, you will be wise once it comes to your own business. Never give up-if this is what you really want, you can do it!



SE: So inspirational! Currently what is your favorite trend/ What are you into right now
fashion wise?
SD: I have difficulties to point my thoughts to one single thing, but I think it's definitely think its important to keep societies mood and economic situation in mind. Rediscover the simple and pretty things.


SE: So who is the next big fashion thing?
I am really not that fashion up-to-date,but I am hoping Silke Debler!

SE: Good answer! What is your favorite German food?
SD: I miss the bakeries-good bread and cakes!

SE: mmmmhhhhh....

No comments:

Post a Comment